Education is one of the priorities of the Aga Khan Foundation as it is fundamental to the well-being of individuals, communities and nations. For that reason, the Foundation develops interventions that value networking, partnerships and long-term commitments.
To help improve the educational system, promote greater student learning achievements and reduce school drop-out rates, the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) seeks to include the principles of participation and equity in the professional development of education professionals. The main objective is to improve the environment, integration and educational success of all children and young people from pre-school to secondary education, as well as to promote inclusive practices that value diversity and the development of positive relationships among all. These elements, including building networks, helps lead to successful transitions between school cycles, and likewise from education to the job market, which in turn contributes to greater social and economic inclusion.
AKF has developed a set of pedagogical tools (Tool-box) that enables teachers and school administrations to provide children with an education focused not only on core curriculum but also on soft skills and multiple literacies with pluralist outlook and ethics, advocating learner agency and lifelong learning awareness and motivation. Already working through the Ministry of Education in 600 schools, AKF is now forming a network of learning communities that would influence quality improvement in practices and school outcomes of the country’s schools.
- Continuous Professional Development
- Equity and Participation
- This intervention seeks to promote equity and participation in pedagogical contexts, fostering the growth of a society with more dialogue and inclusiveness.
- Download Publication (Portuguese): Equity and participation in educational contexts - A pedagogical approach based on cooperation
- Aesthetic and Arts Education
- The Aesthetic and Artistic Education Programme is an initiative of the Ministry of Education, with the support of AKF, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and the Organization of Ibero-American States. The project promotes the arts and culture in the school universe and it also intends that children, teachers and families develop a taste for art, create cultural habits and value art as a form of knowledge.
- Intercultural Education
- Intercultural Schools Network & Stamp – This project developed in partnership with AKF, Ministry of Education and the High Commission for Migration, aims to promote change processes to deepen intercultural competence within schools. It intends to distinguish public, private or cooperative educational and educational establishments that, through their educational projects and practices, promote the recognition and appreciation of linguistic and cultural diversity, as an opportunity and source of learning for all .
- Postgraduate Studies
- ECD Olivais Sul Centre, together with the Catholic University, have created a Master’s programme in Lisbon and a Post-graduation course in Porto. Herewith, AKF aims to address systems, professionals, families and communities’ transformation grounded in participatory pedagogies and learning environments valuing diversity and innovation.