Continued support is needed now more than ever as Afghanistan grapples with its humanitarian crisis. Our commitment to the Afghan people at this difficult time remains firm.
We are adapting our activities to the evolving situation
- Afghanistan is going through a very challenging period. Over the past few months, AKDN agencies have remained operational and functional despite significant challenges.
- Even as international funding was suspended in August 2021, the AKDN demonstrated its unwavering commitment to Afghanistan by carefully and cautiously maintaining operations across multiple provinces and districts.
- Our approach is based on working with, and being accepted by, communities. All actions and activities implemented by the AKDN in Afghanistan are inclusive of diverse communities.
- The AKDN abides by the principles of impartiality and neutrality. We observe strict political neutrality. Our officials regularly meet national and local leaders, international organisations, diplomats and civil society leaders. Such engagement, across a wide spectrum of actors, seeks to assure our ability to achieve its primary purpose: to support vulnerable communities to improve their opportunities and their quality of life.
- All AKDN agencies continue to adjust and adapt to the evolving situation. This includes an increased focus on direct humanitarian support, and strict compliance with international requirements and sanctions.
We will continue to promote and demonstrate our values through our actions and our engagement with all stakeholders
- In Afghanistan, we will continue to promote and demonstrate our values. This includes respect for human dignity, compassion and solidarity with the less fortunate, self-reliance and pluralism: taking decisions and actions which are grounded in respect for diversity, in addition to the right to participate and determine local priorities.
- We will take all efforts so that marginalised groups, including women, girls, the disabled, as well as minorities, are included in project design and implementation. While we carefully monitor and observe new policy directions, we will remain proactive and take steps to provide a safe environment for female employees, and ensure diverse voices are included and valued.