Hakim Wazir Khan, the Subedar of Lahore in the reign of the Emperor Shah Jahan, built this mosque and its associated structures in 1634-35. At the time, it was the largest mosque in Lahore.
The complex includes the mosque itself, the introductory space of Chowk Wazir Khan, and a double row of shops. The architectural decorations on the exterior and interior surfaces of the mosque are an outstanding attribute that places the mosque in the frontline of the major monuments of the world. The Trust has commenced a phased restoration and work is on-going.