Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russia, 13 September 2019 – The six winning projects of the 2019 Aga Khan Award for Architecture (AKAA) were acclaimed earlier today at a ceremony held at Kazan’s Musa Jalil State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre. Mintimer Shaimiev, State Counsellor of the Republic of Tatarstan, accompanied His Highness the Aga Khan, hereditary Imam (spiritual leader) of the Ismaili Muslims, in presiding over the Awards Ceremony.
The six projects to share a US$ 1 million prize, as selected by the 2019 Award Master Jury are:
- Revitalisation of Muharraq, Bahrain
- Arcadia Education Project, South Kanarchor, Bangladesh
- Palestinian Museum, Birzeit, Palestine
- Public Spaces Development Programme, Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation
- Alioune Diop University Teaching and Research Unit, Bambey, Senegal
- Wasit Wetland Centre, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates