You are here

You are here

  • As a result of Pamir Energy’s efforts, 70 percent of its customers in GBAO (those who are connected to the main grid) now enjoy 24 hours of power a day for the first time since the end of the Soviet era, while the remaining 30 percent receive 16-18 hours of power a day.
    AKDN / Moez Visram
  • As a result of Pamir Energy’s efforts, 70 percent of its customers in Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast (those who are connected to the main grid) now enjoy 24 hours of power a day for the first time since the end of the Soviet era, while the remaining 30 percent receive 16-18 hours of power a day.
    AKDN
  • Dushanbe Serena Hotel, Tajikistan.
    AKDN / Gary Otte
  • Khorog Serena Hotel, Tajikistan, located on the outskirts of Khorog, the capital of the Autonomous Oblast of Gorno-Badakhshan.
    AKDN
  • PamirEnergy, a project company of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development, is operating all power generation, transmission and distribution facilities of GBAO under a 25-year concession agreement with the Government of Tajikistan. In its initial phase PamirEnergy doubled the installed capacity at the Pamir I power plant, enabling most of the plant’s Khorog customers to have electricity 24 hours a day for the first time since the end of the Soviet era. Now cross-border transmission lines between Tajikistan and Afghanistan enable PamirEnergy to also export surplus power to Shugnan, Afghanistan and Afghan Ishkashim.
    AKDN / Jean-Luc Ray
Economic development

The Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED) is making long-term investments in Tajikistan as part of an effort to catalyse foreign investment and strengthen the role of the private sector in the country while building essential infrastructure. Its approach emphasises the development of local human resources over time, including managerial, technical, marketing and financial skills.