The Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) and its institutional predecessors have had a presence in Tanzania and Zanzibar for more than a century, starting with the establishment of the first Aga Khan Girls School in Zanzibar in 1905. In recognition of AKDN's commitment to the country, an Agreement of Co-operation was signed with the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania in 1991. The Agreement was subsequently revised and endorsed in 2001, which has enabled the AKDN to contribute significantly to Tanzania's development agenda in the economic, social and cultural spheres. Its work has spanned rural development in Lindi and Mtwara regions, healthcare and nursing education in Dar es Salaam and the restoration of landmark buildings and public spaces in Zanzibar's World Heritage site, Stone Town.
Aga Khan University Graduates to Have a “Multiplier Effect” in Civil Society
Remarks by His Highness the Aga Khan at the Aga Khan University Convocation, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The Aga Khan University’s New Charter Sets the Stage for Major Expansion in the Region
© 2007 The Aga Khan Development Network. This is the only authorised Website of the Aga Khan Development Network.