The Aga Khan Early Learning Centre (AKELC) Dubai is a purpose-built facility, for young children ages 12 months to 4 years, located in Oud Metha within the Ismaili Centre Dubai, a building designed to promote cultural, educational and social programmes.
The AKELC provides nursery, preschool and educational programming that follows the highest international standards of excellence. The Centre provides nursery, preschool and educational programming based on international standards of excellence. The Centre’s curriculum demonstrates international best practices and is aligned with the Early Years Foundation Stages framework (EYFS-UK). The Centre's secular, bilingual (English/Arabic) curriculum, which caters to young children ages 12 months to 4 years, is offered to members of all communities, reflecting AKDN’s strong belief in the positive value of pluralism and diversity. Recently the AKELC was awarded a 5 star exemplary rating in six critical areas of programme quality, including staff-child interaction, partnerships with parents and the community, learning facilities and health and safety policies. The AKELC Dubai is a part of AKDN's global portfolio of early childhood development initiatives across Africa, South and Central Asia, dating as far back as the early 1900’s. The Centre’s curriculum is:
- bilingual Arabic/English with an emphasis on nurturing the child’s home language,
- broad in scope, holistic, non-denominational and developmentally responsive
- based on well researched approaches to early childhood education,
- taught by competent early childhood educators,
- implemented through active participatory learning where children are encouraged to develop knowledge and skills through interactions with the world and the people around them.