The Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) and its institutional predecessors have had a presence in Tanzania and Zanzibar for more than a century, starting with the establishment of the first Aga Khan Girls School in Zanzibar in 1905. In recognition of AKDN's commitment to the country, an Agreement of Co-operation was signed with the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania in 1991. The Agreement was subsequently revised and endorsed in 2001, which has enabled the AKDN to contribute significantly to Tanzania's development agenda in the economic, social and cultural spheres. Its work has spanned rural development in Lindi and Mtwara regions, healthcare and nursing education in Dar es Salaam and the restoration of landmark buildings and public spaces in Zanzibar's World Heritage site, Stone Town.
Remarks by His Highness the Aga Khan on the Creation of the Aga Khan University Hospital in Kampala
Remarks by His Highness the Aga Khan at the Land Grant Ceremony for a New Teaching Hospital in Uganda
Aga Khan University to Build New Teaching Hospital in Kampala, Uganda
© 2007 The Aga Khan Development Network. This is the only authorised Website of the Aga Khan Development Network.