The aim of the programme is to preserve the cultural and architectural legacy of the now-divided Walled City, provide the impetus for new private investments, enhance the quality of life, attract new residents, strengthen economic activity and, ultimately, re-establish the role of the historic centre in the contemporary city. The project is a European-funded initiative and executed by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS). Six main projects have been implemanted to date on both sides of the divided city.
The power-station located in the southern section of the old city, was built between 1913 and 1936. It has been converted into the Municipal Modern Art Centre.
A major concern was to maintain and enhance the original function of the baths (which have been in continuous use since around 1571) by installing modern mechanical, wastewater and electrical services.
The walled city provides not only a setting with a rich architectural and urban heritage , but also a healthy urban environment where all services are within walking distance, where pedestrian movement takes priority over vehicular traffic.