Qatar's old Amiri palace was reconstructed to form the nucleus of the museum. The palace complex consists of three courtyard houses, two reception halls and various service quarters, all within a walled enclosure. A two-storey arcaded structure at the centre of the compound, built in 1918, dominates the site. Added is a new three-level Museum of State that joins the north wall of the complex and completes the courtyard. The new building is partially below grade to reduce its scale. The arcaded façade is proportioned to echo the older buildings.
AKAA 1980 Resources1980
Other 1980 Cycle Recipients
© 2007 The Aga Khan Development Network. This is the only authorised Website of the Aga Khan Development Network.